Sunday, July 3, 2011

The big move and so on....

Monday morning Stan moved a lot of boxes onto the truck before the missionaries got here to move the rest of the boxes, the big ones, and the furniture.  
Then the missionaries started to arrive.
The assistants...
 Elder Rydalch Gregson and Moore.

Then the (Hunters Creek) West side English and (South Chase)Spanish...
 Elders Grimm Vilorio Brandenburg Valgardson and Shelley

Then the East side English and Spanish...
 Elders Whitworth Pratt Stock and Cullison.

It took them 15 minutes to load everything in the  truck
Hard at work...

The cinnamon rolls took 25 minutes to cook so there were some fun times waiting.
 Those cinnamon rolls evaporated.

 Elders Pratt Shelley Moore Gregson Grimm Rydalch Vilorio Campbell Whitworth Valgardson Cullison Brandenburg and Stock

Elder Gregson stood on the stairs and took pictures.
 On top;  Moore Shelley and Valgardson
on the ground:  Pratt Rydalch Grim Vilorio Whitworth Brandenburg Cullison and Stock
Sister and Elder Campbell

I don't know why we didn't set the timers and get Elder Gregson in the picture.
Just not thinking I guess.


It was over and Stan left me to wait for the Internet/TV disconnect and to clean the fridge out.
Brighthouse didn't make it...
We won't even go there...
So I loaded the equipment to be delivered to them later.
I went to the office to drop of things and pick up some supplies and answer some questions.
Then I was on the way...
I cannot believe I didn't get pictures of the crew that unloaded us.  We had English Spanish and the Sisters.
After they unloaded us we all sat on chairs and buckets and garbage cans and visited until there was a down pour.
We don't have a real roof on the patio...
The patio above has wooden slats and all the rain off the roof comes down on our patio.

 Next pictures are of our patio...
it is much bigger then our other one but open to the elements.




They all made a quick exit.

We had to take the truck back by three so rain or not out we went.
The drain to our parking lot was plugged...
So I waded out to the car in ankle deep water.
Stan took his shoes and socks off and that is the way he went...
He didn't put them back on till we got home.
The maintenance guy unclogged the drain so the water drained and we could walk into the apartment on wet ground...at least not ankle deep.
 Taken from the car  water is above our ankles...
 Stan driving with bare feet.

 Back at the apartment with dry ground... and a little sun...see the shadow.
Stan ate nuts and snack food while he drove the truck from Orlando to Deland...
I hadn't eaten since about 6:30 AM and it was 4:00 in the afternoon.
I thought I would have some salad that came with us...
BUT the apartment was wall to wall boxes and I didn't know where to go for a fork or plate...
Nothing to eat with...
So we went to Denny's which is just up the road.
It was so good to have some food and have someone wait on me and clear and wash the dishes.


 We went to Walmart to get a Microwave and other necessities that were not here in the apartment.
 Deland is beautiful and in the rain even more so.
 Stan said there goes a butterfly...
People had clear garbage bags on them and around their heads...
Many fun and inventive ways to keep dry.
 
This is the crew that helped us move into the apartment (except for the Zone leaders Ellis and Larmore who live to far away.)  This is at our first Deland District meeting Wednesday.
 Back row: The Campbell's Elders Moultrie Ellis Back and Sister Barlow
Front: Sister Higginson Elders Haack (district leader) Cook Love and Bingham.
Elder Larmore front and center.

Sister Barlow brought Brownies for after the meeting...

Elder Larmore took me on a tour of our Deland chapel.
This plaque is very interesting.
 It shows the Duty to God--Eagle and Young Women awards and missionaries for both Deland 1 & 2
This could be a wonderful Eagle project I would think.


 I am pointing to Florida...


In the Primary we found 'The Treasure Map'
 This is a wonderful creative way to show the happenings in the Book of Mormon.


 I have to say I love this guy.  Elder Cook is ready for a service project.
He, as I have said before, is Steve's clone.
If you could sit and watch him you would laugh.
He is our happy Hawaiian who speaks Spanish.

Pretty much finished with setting things up in our very roomy homey home.
Front room (entrance is to the left)


The full bath...

Extra room.
 A very nice place to store things we will need when we move out as well as our emergency supplies.
Stan has set up a nice table and studies here.  I think I will join him, it is more comfortable then in the front room.
Stan's new 'used' table..
Already paying for itself.

Cozy little bedroom with a half bath and big walk in closet to the right.

We actually have one blank wall...
We would like family pictures to fill it...
Don't care the size...we just want pictures.

The Doctor I went to on Friday said this is where he goes to church...
Finally I know who this cross belongs to...
Southern Baptist!

Thursday we went back to Orlando...
To drop off the Brighthouse equipment...
The handtruck etc at the office that we borrowed for the move...
AND
To go to the temple...
We needed our temple fix...
but most of all...
We needed some direction.
We were blessed so much in our attendence there.
What a blessing it is to have a temple close by.


The monster tower is no more...



 A new face to the office...
 President is being exact in putting up the lettering with our mission name...
FLORIDA ORLANDO MISSION

It has been a blessing to have so much rain...
Kind of a pain to drive in...
But the fireworks ban has been lifted and as I am typing I can hear fire works outside.




 What is this?
A Micky spotting...?
Haven't seen such things up here in Deland.
This is where Stan purchased his table and chairs for study. 



 The trees here are grown and make arches over the road...

 Saturday morning we went to Lake Helen (a little community).
They had their celebration Saturday.
We missed the parade but talked to many about the gospel and handed out some pass along cards.

Esther...and anyone else who is fighting the morning glory curse...
 Morning Glory exists in Deland and is EVERYWHERE!

The beauty of this area is caught in so many ways.
We have Ivy League type homes... Plantation homes...shacks...
Most of the homes are 50's -70's with well established growth.
This little red house we found in Mt Dora Saturday afternoon...
We went to visit Peter Gursh's family...
Found that Peter's dad died maybe six months ago and his aunt across the street wasn't home.
But the drive was wonderful -- as we toured our Zone a little to get some bearings.
A lot of the homes have businesses -- anywhere from automotive - crafts - to frog legs.
There are Bear Crossing signs on the roads!

 Mt Dora must be called such because the GPS said we were at 188 ft.
 It is all beautiful...

Stan was taken in by this 1950 Ford convertable...

He couldn't decide if it was 50 or 51...

So he rolled down the window...
Waved at the guy...
and asked what year his car was.
They had a regular conversation...
Now that is something you can't do or wouldn't do in Orlando.


Saturday the sun came through and as it set we caught the serenity of it all in this moment.


 '...May those principles, which were so honorably and nobly defended,
namely,
the Constitution of our land,
by our fathers,
be established forever.'
(D&C 109: 54)

1 comment:

Mary said...

Sitting here in Juniper missing you guys. What an eventful week! Glad you're settling in.